Songs and Games
Songs and Games

Quiet & Traditional Songs

Balloons
Chorus: My friends, let me cheer you, let me sing you a song Let me tell you a tale of today. Let me create a moment, let me make the world move on, Let me live life just for today. Green and yellow balloons make me happy, But the red ones will make me feel sad But tomorrow the red ones will make me feel silly And the next day, balloons are just fads When you see out your window some rain, I'll ask you to come out and play But you stay in your dry house and ask me to come in, But today, i like rainy days

Barges
Out of my window, looking in the night, I can see the barges' flickering lights. Silently flows the river to the sea, And the barges, too, go silently. Chorus: Barges, I would like to go with you, I would like to sail the ocean blue. Barges, have you treasures in your hold? Do you fight with pirates brave and bold? Out of my window, looking in the night, I can see the barges' flickering lights. Starboard shines green, and port is glowing red, I can see the barges far ahead. How I would like to sail away with you, As you sail across the ocean blue. But I must stay beside my window clear, As I watch you sail away from here.

Dreams (Daisies in the Sun)
Chorus: May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun, And may you always have stars in your eyes, And may you not stop running, not until your race is won. And may you always have blue skies. A dream is something you can have to keep within your heart, To build on when you're sad, or when your world's been torn apart. A dream is something you can have that no one else can steal, A dream is something you can make come real. Now you can share your smile with any stranger that you meet, And you can share your money with any person on the street, But you can only share a dream when love has set it free. Oh, please, won't you share your dreams with me?

Girl Scout Vespers (Softly Falls)
Softly falls the light of day, As our campfire fades away. Silently, Girl Scouts should ask, Have I done my daily task? Have I kept my honor bright? Can I guiltless sleep tonight? Have I done and have I dared Everything to be prepared? I have kept my honor bright, I can guiltless sleep tonight. I have done and I have dared Everything to be prepared.

Magic
When I was young, I thought stars were made for wishing on And every hole inside a tree must hide a leprechaun Old houses all had secret rooms if one could find the door But who believes in magic anymore? Chorus: Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave I do believe in magic, I believe When I grew up, a grownup said, I'd wake one day to find That magic was a childhood dream I’d have to leave behind Like clothes that would no longer fit or toys that I’d ignore I’d not believe in magic anymore So now I'm grown and I have found that much to my surprise Magic did not fade away; it took a new disguise A child, a friend, a smile, a song, the courage to stand tall But love's the greatest magic of them all Last Chorus: Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave I do believe in magic, for love's the greatest magic, I do believe in magic, I believe

Make New friends / Whene'er You Make a Promise
Make new friends, but keep the old One is silver and the other gold. Whene'er you make a promise Consider well its importance And when made Engrave it upon your heart
While "Make New Friends" was originally only one verse,
through the years it has become popular to add more verses, including:

Amistad es lo que nos une
Y lo que nos hace progresar.

A circle's round; it has no end
That's how long I want to be your friend

I have a hand, and you have another
Put them together and we have each other

A fire burns bright; it warms the heart,
We've been friends since the very start

Peanut butter, and jelly too
That's how long I want to stick with you!

Feel free to add your own troop's signature verse to this ever-evolving list!

On the Loose
Chorus: On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be. For I've only got a moment, and the whole world yet to see, I'll be looking for you out there on the loose. Have you ever seen the sunrise turn the sky completely red? Have you sat beneath the moon and stars with a pine bough for your bed? Have you sat and talked with friends, though a word was never said? Then you're just like me and you've been on the loose. Do the trees in the forest make you sit and think of love? Does it take you twenty times or more just to count the stars above? Well I'm here, and I like it; let the hours slip away, And if I like, I'll stay here another day. There's a trail that I'll be hiking just to see where it might go. Many places yet to visit, many people yet to know. And in following my dreams, I will live and I will grow, In a world that's waiting out there on the loose. So in search of love and laughter, I've been traveling 'cross this land. Never sure of where I'm going, for I haven't any plans. And in time when you are ready, come and join me, take my hand. And together we'll share life out on the loose!

On my Honor
Chorus: On my honor, I will try. There's a duty to be done and I say aye. There's a reason here for a reason above. My honor is to try and my duty is to love. People don't need to know my name. If I've done any harm, then I'm to blame. If I've helped another, then I've helped me. If I've opened up my eyes to see. I've tucked away a song or two. If you're feeling low, there's one for you. If you need a friend, then I will come. And there's plenty more where I come from. Come with me where the fire burns bright, We can even see better by candlelight. We can find more meaning in a campfire's glow Than we've ever found in a year or so. We've made a promise to always keep. And we pray "Softley Falls" before we sleep. We'll be Girl Scouts together and when we're gone, We'll still be trying and singing this song.

Pass This Way Again
Chorus: Let a light shine in your window So I can see where I have been And if that candle burns and if fortune smiles I will pass this way again Though we’re far apart we can share the stars And the same moon overhead But like that moon returns most every night I will pass this way again I can take all life will throw my way But alone without a friend, Well, I will take that path back to your door I will pass this way again When my time is up and my body lays down And the candle fades and dims Throw my ashes into a restless wind Let me pass this way again.